Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Tithe Begins To Turn


As a Catholic growing up during the 40's and 50's, I heard much about charity and sharing, but not tithing. However, in our parish Bible study program, the Biblical concept of tithing was discussed and Larry and I decided to try the concept, even though our budget was very limited raising four small children. 

Not long after we started tithing, Rob and Paul needed winter jackets. Our clothing budget was particularly tight at that time, but I was trusting that God would take care of us. The next day a circular from a nearby store was delivered, announcing a sale of winter jackets at just the price we could pay. I hurried to the store and picked out two jackets. While in line to pay for them, I realized that these jackets could not be washed. Disappointed and unable to afford the washable jackets, I put those I'd picked out back on the rack and left the store. 


As I walked out the door, a worker from the Salvation Army was by the door with her kettle.  I dropped in a quarter. She handed me a pamphlet which I shoved into my pocket and headed for home, all the while thinking we'd made a mistake about tithing.  When I arrived home, I took the pamphlet out of my pocket and to my surprise, the subject was tithing. It was a wonderful article which helped to clear away my doubts. 


Later that day, a neighbor called and said she was cleaning out her closets and found two jackets her sons had outgrown, and would I be interested in seeing if they fit my sons since they were in good condition, very warm, and washable? They fit perfectly. Her thoughtfulness was tangible evidence of God's faithfulness.

(Pictured above is Paul wearing his jacket after the Washington's Birthday Blizzard of 1979.)

No comments:

Post a Comment