Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Baltimore Tithing Futures Market



It was November in the 70's, and the financial situation for Christmas looked bleak. We were working on trusting God for our financial needs. I was missing the mark and worrying.

One night Grandma Turner came over for dinner and she brought with her $18 in quarters that she had been saving for the children. At that time, there were only five; Phil came the following year.  If the money was divided evenly, each child would get $3.60. The children were most appreciative and talked about what they would to with the money.

Later that night, Larry and I were talking about Grandma's gift and my Bible was opened on my bed.  I glanced down and my eyes fell on a verse in Paul's Epistle concerning sowing and reaping. I was struck with the thought of using this as a teaching tool for the kids. Larry and I agreed that we would give the kids the option of taking the money and spending it as they like or sending it to a mission and see if sowing and reaping was just a nice thought or was it a truth. Except for Tom, who was too young to make that decision, all of the children, ages 11 to 17, agreed to send the money to the missions.

The next day, a lady whom I had worked for the previous year and still visited, called me and asked if I could come to see her because she had something for the children. When I arrived at her house the next day, she handed me a check for $50 to be spent on the children. She had never done that before, nor did she ever do it again.   

The children were amazed.  The Scripture was true.  One son thought that we should send the $50 to the missions and try and get $100 back.  He felt this was a great way to make big money and become millionaires. It was obvious that we needed to talk about seeking God's will, but the kids did see a Scriptural principle in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment