Saturday, December 24, 2011

In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash


The first paycheck we ever tithed was frightening for me, since we had little to no discretionary funds and this seemed like such a big risk. We tithed our money, and near the end of the week I needed milk for the children and I had no more food money or any other money to buy the milk, since we had paid our bills allotted for that paycheck. Our next check would be available in another day, but the last of the milk had been used at breakfast.  I knew I could get by until dinner since the kids went to my mom's for lunch from school.

What to do for supper and the next day's breakfast was the question. I was fretting as I often did.  I couldn't come up with a solution to the problem except to borrow money from a relative or friend. Yet we had learned that tithing was one way God wanted to teach us to trust Him for our finances and not our earning power or our dollars. Amazing that on our one dollar bill is printed "In God We Trust". This day, I was unsure this was a truth.

After the children went off to school, I was to take two elderly ladies, Pauline and Marie, to the doctor. I had taken care of these dear souls for a time, doing their laundry and shopping and cooking.  However, I was no longer working for them, but was called upon from time to time to take them to the doctor. I picked up the ladies and after the doctor visit, Pauline and Marie insisted that I take five dollars from them for my services. They had never paid me before for these trips and never did again, and I had not said a word to them about money, tithing, milk, etc. I was astounded that God had moved these women to give me money when I was in need to teach me that I could trust Him. Like every slow learner, I was to repeat the lesson over and over until years later, I realized I really could trust Him with our money and He was our Provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment