Monday, November 14, 2011

Wildflowers and Makeshift Vases



Work had stationed my husband, Larry, and me on a base on the moor above Harrogate, Yorkshire, England. We were given two bedrooms and a bathroom for us and our four children: Anne, Rob, Paul and Mary. These rooms were in a wooden one story building that temporarily housed new families on tours of duty. There was a “game room” with very few games and a small TV room for all the families staying there. The rooms were drab and the weather was bleak and the base was surrounded by barbed wire. I felt like I had just been put in prison. 
 
The weather turned worse and all I wanted to do was to take the next flight home to Baltimore. After battling roaches in our temporary home and trying to keep the children entertained while Larry worked the night shift during several days of rain, I remember praying for the sun to come out. 
 
God heard my plea and the next day, out came the sun. We had no car at this time, so I decided I was going to take the children for a walk off of the base. I had to know that I could leave if I wanted to and that I was not really a prisoner. I had no idea of where the road would take us but off we went.
 
Along the side of the road, wild flowers were growing. Thew were so lovely and different than those I saw at home so we picked some of them. We were all enjoying the walk and one of the children saw a road on the opposite side leading in a different direction. Feeling adventurous, we crossed over and started down this tree-lined country road. After a bit, we came to a wooden gate and realized we had been walking on the access road for a local farm. We could see cows and sheep in the fields beyond. 
 
As the children were watching the animals, I asked the Lord to help me. I didn't know if I could cope with the temporary housing much longer and I wasn't sure I would ever get adjusted to the base with its barbed wire. It all seemed like too much. 
 
I knew we had to start heading back to the base soon since the younger kids would be getting tired. As I was turning to go, a man in a Yorkshire cap came from behind a barn. He came over and asked if we were from the base. I told him we were and looking at my flowers he said, “You like flowers, do you?” I said I did, so he asked me to wait just a minute and headed off beyond the barn where I noticed a greenhouse. He came back with a beautiful bunch of hothouse flowers wrapped in a wet paper towel. He handed me the flowers and said, “Enjoy your time here in Yorkshire.” I thanked the man and we headed back to the base. 
 

I was so touched by his kindness and how he had appeared just after I had sent up that prayer for help. I somehow knew that I was going to be okay here. I would make it through these first difficult days. That man was God's sign to me that He was with me and He loved me. 
 
As we reached our rooms with the wildflowers and my lovely bouquet, I realized that I had no vase or jar or anything to put the flowers in. All I could do was lay them in water in the bathroom sink. Paul and Mary, tired from the walk, laid down for a nap. Rob and Anne went out to play on a baseball field behind the BQ (the name for the place we were billeted in). There was a mound of dirt near home plate and the kids were climbing the dirt hill. About 15 minutes later, Rob came in very excited. 
 
“Mom! Look what I found in the dirt!” 
 
He handed me a chipped, mud-filled wide mouthed bottle that someone had made in a ceramics class and thrown away. God again had supplied my need. I was going to be fine. I still have that chipped bottle as a reminder of His faithfulness. 
 
The following month, we were given a house in Harrogate away from the base and its barbed wire. In the three years we lived in Harrogate, I made many lasting friendships and we loved our time there. 
 
Thank you, Jesus, for the Yorkshire farmer's act of kindness that instilled faith in me that all would be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment