Monday, November 14, 2011

Adventures in Babysitting



While in Harrogate, Larry and I were invited to become part of St. Robert's (pictured above) Christian Family Movement. Groups of married couples would get together with a priest as their leader for prayer and discussion of Christian family life. We were paired with four other couples and our leader was Sr. Lucy. There were not enough priests to sponsor the number of groups, so Sr. Lucy from the Holy Union Convent was recruited to lead our group. She was a very lively lady and we all enjoyed her. 
 
However, she kept asking me if I would like to come to a prayer meeting on Wednesday nights at the convent. I didn't want to go, so I would make excuses or out and out lie to her. She also kept asking me if I was aware of what was going on back in the U.S. She said there was a spiritual movement occurring there. I didn't know what she was referring to, nor was I interested. Much later, I was to learn that she was speaking of the Charismatic Renewal.

One Wednesday afternoon, I received a telephone call from Sr. Lucy again asking if I could come to the convent for prayer. I was relieved that this time, I didn't have to lie since Larry had to work the 3 p.m. – 11 p.m. shift and I had no babysitter. Sr. Lucy was very tenacious, however, and suggested I call a young teen from the parish who had babysat for me before. 
 
“Call Ursula,” she suggested. It was already 4 p.m., but I called Ursula and found out she was not at home. Her father told me that she and her mom had gone into town for some late shopping as the stores stayed open until 7:30 on Wednesdays. 
 
“Do you wish to leave a message?” Ursula's father asked. I certainly did not want to leave a message and was glad to hear that Ursula was not at home. I just said, “no thank you, it's not important.” I then called Sr. Lucy back and told her that Ursula was not at home and I would not be at the convent. Sr. Lucy said she would pray that somehow I would get to the prayer meeting. 
 
“Lots of luck,” I thought. 
 
About an hour later the phone rang. It was Ursula. “Daddy said you rang, Mrs. Turner. He did say that you had told him the call wasn't important. However, I felt I should ring back since I had such a strange experience. While I was in town I had this overwhelming urge to go home, as if there was a need. So I asked my mother if she would mind going home. She didn't mind so I came home and Dad was fine but said you had called. Do you need me to babysit tonight?” 
 
I was astonished! I knew something bigger than me was operating here, and frankly, it was scary. I felt I was definitely supposed to go to the convent for prayer.

I did go and found the group to consist that night of four nuns and me. And though the prayers were spontaneous prayers and I was only used to praying prayers with others that were written in a book, this turned out to be the first step of a life-changing experience. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment